This festive season brings you great pleasure and you are enthusiastic about how to look differ in party following quick Christmas makeup tips but then do you know that this great festival is just more than partying? Learning or reminiscing over some amazing facts about Christmas can, indeed, be very fascinating for Christians and also many others.
There are numerous amazing facts about Christmas so far. As research is still being done on Christmas and Christianity, more amazing facts on this theme will come up over the years.
- The popular term ‘Christmas’ is believed to have originated from the Middle English ‘Christe masse’ or Old English ‘Cristes masse’ around 1038. The word ‘Cristes seems to have come from the Greek ‘Christos’ while ‘masse’ refers to Latin ‘missa’ signifying the Holy Mass.
- The single-most and amazing fact about Christmas, perhaps, is in relation to the birth date of Jesus. As you know, celebrations of Christmas all across the world take place on December 25. This is the date on which Jesus is believed to be born. However, there is still no concrete evidence to prove that the messiah of Christianity was, indeed, born on December 25.
- Some historians believe that Jesus was born in September and not December between 6 BC and 30 AD. Historians also believe that Jesus was born in a cave and not in a stable as propagated since centuries.
- Though it is widely propagated that only three wise men ‘worshipped’ baby Jesus, the Bible does not state the number. In fact, Matthew’s Gospel mentions just ‘wise men’.
- Another amazing fact about Christmas relates to the Star of Bethlehem. It is widely believed that this star guided the ‘wise men’ to Jesus. However, some scientists have stated that it was not the star but either a comet or Uranus planet.
- Christmas carols could not be sung in churches till the thirteenth century. It was St. Francis of Assisi who allowed Christmas carols in churches.
- Some people believe that using the short form Xmas for Christmas is blasphemy. However, the initial alphabet ‘X’ in Xmas is believed to be the French usage for Christ.
- The amazing fact about Christmas also refers to the endearing character Santa Claus. Santa Claus is called as Kriss Kringle in Germany, Le Befana in Italy, Pere Noel in France and Deushka Moroz in Russia.
- Historians say that the term Santa Claus has been mentioned in a Dutch folklore on Saint Nicholas or Sinterklaas. He is stated to offer gifts on December 6.
- The decoration of Christmas tree is a view to watch since centuries. In 1570, a German pamphlet mentioned about the Christmas tree for the first time.
Now that you are aware of many amazing facts about Christmas, try to share them with your family members and friends. Also, now you can experiment with Christmas makeup and enjoy the parties!